Product added to cart
Whether you are running a busy commercial gym, a small PT facility, or have a home gym, weight plates are an essential piece of gym equipment that no workout space is complete without. They are a versatile bit of kit found in almost every gym environment and are a favourite with all types of gym users from bodybuilders, to powerlifters and CrossFit athletes alike. Weight plates are widely used due to the numerous benefits they provide including muscle stabilisation, increasing strength, growing muscle mass, and developing power. As an essential strength training item they go hand in hand with a barbell which is a strength training combination as old as time that forms the foundation of all compound movements including the bench press, deadlift and squat. In addition, a weight plate and barbell are less restrictive than some strength equipment and allow you to perform exercises with a full range of motion.
Weight plates can also be used independently without a barbell and are fantastic for functional exercises such as overhead squats or shoulder raises. They are great for adding another dimension to your training as when used with an attachment, they can provide extra resistance for pull ups, weighted dips, and push ups. If space is a concern weight plates have the additional benefit of being convenient to store and can be stacked or placed on a weight plate storage rack, which is great if you have limited space. At Origin Fitness we have a wide range of different types of weight plates that are suitable for all users, from beginners right through to advanced lifters. Our range includes Bumper Plates, Urethane Weight Plates, Incremental Plates, Rubber Weight Plates, Olympic Plates, Technique and Competition Plates.
Types of Weight Plates
- Bumper plates: One of the most common weight plates found in commercial gyms they are typically used for exercise such as standard squats, deadlifts, and Olympic lifts. They come in rubber and urethane meaning they can withstand heavy usage and heavy lifts, but can also be used on plate loaded machines.
- Rubber Crumb Bumper Plates: Softer than our other bumper plates for improved shock absorption and sound reduction.
- Competition Bumper Plates: Strength and conditioning facilities favour these weight plates as they are our most accurate weight discs, calibrated to IWF competition specifications, with a full rubber coating to give superior acoustic and bounce reduction properties from dropped lifts.
- Olympic Weight Plates: These plates feature a three hole design making them easy to remove from plate loaded equipment or barbells, and their covering protects machines, equipment and flooring.
- Technique Plates: This plate allows you to add resistance to the bar without adding a lot of weight so that you can focus only on your technique and form during power movements.
- Incremental Plates: These weight plates are designed for smaller weight increases and are perfect for when you are trying to hit a personal best. They are made from steel with a rubber coating.
If you have just purchased a new set of weight plates, you’re going to need somewhere to keep them safely stored to prevent them from getting damaged. We offer a range of weight plate storage solutions including Toast Racks, Weight Plate Trees, and Olympic Bar & Plate Storage Racks. We know that choosing the right weight plate can be a challenge, so if you’re still not sure on which is right for you, consider reading our weight plates buying guide or get in touch with one of our friendly team on 0131 526 3770 or email us on [email protected].